Neuro Note 1

For my first neuro note, I chose to watch the movie Regarding Henry, starring Harrison Ford and Annette Bening. This movie tells the story of a man named Henry who is a father, husband, and lawyer, who survives two gunshot wounds, and faces an acquired brain injury. It follows from his life pre-injury through his time in acute care and an inpatient rehabilitation facility, and eventually ends with him returning home and working to figure out what his life is going to be like post-injury. By watching this movie, I think that I was not only able to really solidify my knowledge of brain injuries, but I also found myself thinking critically as information on Henry was revealed, to try and determine how his injuries might affect his recovery, and why he was facing certain effects following his injury. I actually happened upon this movie by accident when my mom was watching it, and I asked her what it was about. When I found out that it was about a brain injury, I became very interested and decided to watch it for my neuro note since it was something that we recently covered in class.

Though this movie is fictional, I found it very informative, and I think that it was actually very accurate in describing both some of the effects that happen due to brain injury as well as the impact that the rehabilitation process has on both the person who is affected as well as those around him. I learned a great deal about what a brain injury can look like in practice, and how difficult it can be on the client as they have to navigate a new way of living and having to relearn things that they have known how to do for so long. More than this, though, I really think that I took away the importance of being there for your clients beyond what is required in the sessions. The therapist primarily featured in this movie was a physical therapist, but I learned a great deal about the rehabilitation process from him. True, his main goals were to improve Henry's mobility and balance, but he also helped him in a much more impactful way. He was kind and compassionate towards Henry and pushed him to want to better himself when everything seemed to get in his way. When Henry had struggles following his return home, his PT was the person who made him want to continue progressing. This had a huge impact on me because it was a strong reminder of what the field of OT is about. Sure, it's about helping clients reach their goals, but even more so it's about helping them lead meaningful lives, and the way we relate to them has a huge impact on that. I would recommend that anyone who is interested in the fields of OT, PT, or even just general healthcare professions watch this movie, because it was an incredibly eye-opening and impactful film.

References:

Nichols, M. (Director). (1991). Regarding Henry [Motion picture on Sling Television]. USA:               Paramount Pictures.

Comments

Popular Posts