Neuro Note 4

For my fourth and final neuro note, I chose to watch the Netflix original documentary, My Beautiful Broken Brain. I chose this at the recommendation of one of my classmates, who said this was a really great film and helped further her learning on CVAs. This film tells the story of Lotje Sodderland, a 34-year old woman who had a massive hemorrhagic stroke. Through interviews of her friends and family, and videos that she herself filmed in the year after her stroke, this video provides the stark reality of the impact a stroke can have on someone. Though her recovery is not easy, this movie shows Lotje full of hope and smiling, despite her struggles. I would highly recommend this video to anyone who may have had someone experience a stroke that they know, as the filming tries to capture the way that she specifically sees things. I would also recommend this to any current or future therapists, as I think it would really help with understanding of a stroke as well as empathy for their clients who may have had one.

My biggest impact that I had from this was really the importance of being client-centered. Repeatedly through this documentary, Lotje would report feeling so confused and overwhelmed by what her doctors or therapists would tell her, because her stroke affected her speech, understanding, reading and writing. Therefore, when her doctors would discuss her treatment, or her therapists would discuss what she was struggling with, she often had no idea what they were talking about, and felt that everything was happening outside of her control to some extent. Towards the end of the film, she was talking to therapists and told them that they should not only focus on what their clients cannot do, but to help them find their strengths, because you have no idea where that will lead. This really is what stuck out to me. As a future occupational therapist, my goal is not only to help people with their difficulties so that they can engage in occupations, but also to capitalize on their strengths so that they can live their lives to the fullest.


Reference:

(2016, March 18). Retrieved June 01, 2018, from https://www.netflix.com/title/80049951

Comments

Popular Posts